A decade ago, you needed 30 pounds of expensive equipment and a set of highly specialized skills to make a professional-grade travel video. Now all you need is a smartphone. And because smartphones go everywhere, it’s unlocked the world itself. We can all play at being filmmakers—and there’s so much you can show in 60 seconds or less. It may be a time-lapse of the perfect Mekong River sunset in Luang Prabang, a walk though a local market in Battambang. Maybe it’s a shared meal with new friends, anywhere from Cambodia to Viet Nam. For our inaugural annual Mekong Mini Movie Festival, we want you to share those video-worthy Mekong moments with us, celebrating extraordinary experiences—made in minutes, shared in seconds—that last forever.
A great photo captures a moment in time, but a great video has the power to transport you back in time. We love the way a video can give new life to our most extraordinary Mekong memories. It’s the reason why we started our Mekong Mini Movie Festival—to celebrate those inspiring, stunning, and just plain awesome Mekong moments you’ve captured. The Mekong Mini Movie Festival focuses on—as its name suggests—videos under 60 seconds. And we want to see yours! Submitting a film is simple; just submit directly to your Instagram, Twitter, or YouTube account by tagging your video with #MekongMoments AND #Minis. The contest lasts from now until May 15, 2018 (with three different deadlines: January 15 / March 1 / May 15), and we’ll be announcing winners in June at Mekong Tourism Forum 2018 in Nahkom Phanom, Thailand. Winning videos will get posted on our site, and inspiring filmmakers will win journeys in the Mekong Region.
Every year, we will showcase iconic destinations in the Greater Mekong Sub region as prizes.
The Grand Prizes for each phase will include flights and hotel accommodation for two people, as well as various activities, packaged in one memorable Mekong Experience. Aligned to the 2017 Year of Sustainability of the United Nations, all experiences are responsible in nature. The winner will get a dedicated page on MekongMoments.com to allow people to follow and get inspired by the experience.
Every one-minute film is, in our view, a minor miracle, and we enjoy seeing your work. We especially look for films that are inventive, funny, uplifting, thought-provoking, meaningful and have a story or message to share, and which get that message across very well. Note we are not looking for teasers, trailers or parts of larger work – the entire story or piece of art has to be encompassed in your one-minute submission. Videos longer than 60 seconds are automatically disqualified.
Here’s how it works:
- Make an inspirational travel video. We ask that you keep it under 60 seconds, but the rest is up to you: iPhone, Samsung, or Canon 5D; iMovie or AVID.
- Capture beautiful landscapes and experiences. Tell a story that inspires. Be creative. Have fun.
- Post to your Instagram, Twitter, or YouTube account using #MekongMoments and #Minis. You must use both hashtags to be entered! You may also add #location/destination and #business/attraction hashtags as applicable. The contest is open from now until January 15, 2018 (first phase), and we’ll be announcing winners in June at Mekong Tourism Forum 2018 in Nahkom Phanom, Thailand. Winning videos will get posted on our site, and inspiring filmmakers will win journeys in the Mekong Region.
- Register at www.MekongMoments.com so we can contact you. You may also send us a message with the link of your video.
- Vote for your favourite video at www.MekongMoments.com/MekongMiniMovie (or www.MekongMinis.com) and watch for announcements of screenings and finalists.
The Mekong Mini Movie Festival is powered by Mekong Moments. Please visit Mekong Moments for more information.