Amazing Career Opportunity -join an international team!
Are you talented, passionate, smart, organized, honest, ethical, a Thai citizen, and would love to build a successful career in the international travel and tourism industry?
Then this is your unique opportunity to work for six national tourism organizations and tourism ministries in South East Asia (Cambodia, PR China, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam) in one of the most interesting and fastest growing regions globally, engage with the private sector from airlines, cruise lines, attractions, to hotels, and be based in one of the most dynamic cities in the world – Bangkok!
Please read the job description below, and send me an email if you think you have what it takes with your salary expectations (note: our budgets are small but the opportunity is huge!)
Name: Mekong Tourism Coordinating Office
Position: Operations Manager (based in Bangkok)
Date Posted: August 15th, 2015
Closing Date: August 23rd, 2015 (17.00 h Bangkok Time)
Established in early 2006, the Mekong Tourism Coordinating Office (MTCO) is a collaborative effort between the six countries of the Greater Mekong Sub-region (GMS),: Cambodia, the People’s Republic of China (PRC) (Yunnan and Guangxi Provinces), the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (Lao PDR), Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam. The mission of the MTCO is to help GMS National Tourism Organizations develop and promote the Mekong as a single destination, offering a diversity of good quality and high-yielding sub-regional products that help to distribute the benefits of tourism more widely; add to the tourism development efforts of each GMS destination; contribute to poverty reduction, gender equality and empowerment of women; and minimize any adverse impacts of tourism through the development of a sustainable industry.
The MTCO acts as the secretariat for, and reports to the GMS Tourism Working Group (TWG), which is made up of representatives from the respective National Tourism Organizations (NTOs) of each of the six Mekong countries. There are focal points from each country and representation at twice-yearly TWG Meetings; participation is customarily up to the Director General level. Reporting on sub-regional tourism issues and progress is also made to Tourism Ministers at periodic GMS Ministers’ Meetings. As of December 2013, the GMS Tourism Working Group has met 32 times, with the twice-yearly gatherings rotating around to each of the GMS Member States on an alphabetical basis.
The MTCO offices are currently located in the Department of Tourism building (near National Stadium BTS Sky Train station) in Bangkok, Thailand. Information is available online at www.MekongTourism.org.
The primary objective of the Operations Manager is to provide secretarial and administrative support to the Executive Director, and to assist with the implementation of the GMS Tourism Strategy, Marketing Strategy, and MTCO Work plan. Additionally, the Operations Manager is to support the implementation of marketing activities in the GMS countries and support the establishment of MTCO and the marketing of a single destination over the long term by establishing linkages with the private sector and developing effective communication, online and offline.
The MTCO Operations Manager shall undertake the following tasks under the supervision of MTCO Executive Director:
- Coordinate the GMS activities and responsible for all logistical arrangements with member countries.
- Facilitate contacts/ communication with stakeholders and partners – national and local governmental agencies, private sector and international organizations.
- Prepare the minutes of all the GMS meetings and workshops.
- Develop and maintain database of all industry and stakeholder contacts, all documentations and collateral materials of GMS in both hard and soft copies.
- Create a proper filing system for the office.
- Responsible for the internship program.
- Responsible for preparing necessary documentations for accounting and banking issues.
- Prepare monthly financial report, and other reporting.
- Assist the MTCO Executive Director in preparing project proposal.
- Assist the MTCO Executive Director in preparing contracts for outsourcing services.
- Support the GMS Marketing strategy and update a yearly Marketing activity plan
- Utilize effective and innovative marketing tools to promote the region as single destination (Internet, Print, Exhibitions)
- Support the member countries and pilot projects in implementing marketing tools with links to the regional marketing
- Assist the organization of the Mekong Tourism Forum (MTF) and assist in facilitating related marketing activities and campaigns
- Establish contacts with tourism business and press in the main target markets
- Develop systematic market knowledge and information for tourism development in the GMS region
- Support the implementation of the GMS Tourism Strategy, Marketing Strategy, and MTCO Work plan
- Oversee the maintenance and content updates of the website(s) and social media accounts.
Private sector linkages
- Assist and coordinate the establishment of a private sector advisory group to support the marketing and product development activities of the MTCO
- Develop options and proposals for strategic alliances between private and public sector tourism organisations in the GMS region with support of international partners
- Support partnerships from the private sector, e.g., carriers, hotel corporations, airlines, travel agents and tour operators, retail, technology companies, credit card companies, telecommunications companies, etc., to enable the implementation of the Marketing and Product Development Program and product development activities of the MTCO
Liaison and communication
- Prepare monthly and quarterly progress reports about Marketing activities to the NTOs Tourism Working Group
- Liaise with the Board of Directors of the MTCO, other relevant NTO personnel, and ADB.
(Note 1: The MTCO Board of Directors is composed of senior officials from each GMS National Tourism Organization. /
Note 2: ADB (Asian Development Bank) acts as the regional advisor to the GMS TWG and MTCO Board of Directors.)
- Coordinate to publish the Mekong Tourism’s e-Newsletters, and coordinate with the Executive Director or other parties for MTCO’s monthly e-Newsletter content for the various stakeholders
- Develop and execute a communication plan and tools for the different stakeholders
- Undertake other activities as may be necessary to perform the functions of the position
- Thai Citizen based in Bangkok
- Excellent Thai oral and written communication skills
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills
- Administrative experience
- Marketing and Communications experience
- Project management skills
- Experience with web and social media
- Excellent coordination and communication skills.
- Flexible for traveling around the region if/when required.
TIMEFRAME AND EMPLOYMENT STATUS
The duration of this engagement is two years, from 1st September 2015 to 30th October 2016, with a possible extension for a yet-to-be-determined period of time. Start-time can be earlier. It is understood that the MTCO Operations Manager is engaged as an independent consultant and that the MTCO is not responsible for paying any related taxes and benefits such as income taxes or social security. The MTCO Operations Manager shall report directly to the MTCO Executive Director. In the case that the MTCO Operations Manager needs to terminate the contract before the above specified engagement period, at least 45 days prior notice must be given in advance to the MTCO Executive Director.
The MTCO Operations Manager shall be compensated based on experience, within the budget range of the position. After passing the 90-day probation period, and upon performance appraisal by the Executive Director as well as agreement from the Board of Directors, the MTCO Operations Manager may be entitled to a raise within the budget range of the position.
APPLICATION PROCESS & INTERVIEWS
By the closing date, all candidates are required to submit by email to email@example.com:
- Signed cover letter describing why the applicant is suitable for the assignment
- CV (not longer than 2 pages) summarizing relevant experience, skills and qualifications,
- Minimum Salary Expectations (please include in cover letter)
The top candidates selected will be asked for a face-to-face interview the week of August 26th– September 3rd, 2015.